Tuesday, May 19, 2015

On spoon theory

As I sit here, I'm exhausted. My body feels weak, my mind can't focus, and I'm struggling to form full sentences. In fact, it took three goes just now to type 'sentence' properly. My eyes are drooping, and right now, any horizontal surface looks great for sleeping. The best part? It's only 10:00.... in the morning.

A post on exhaustion and all the things that entails is just about all I can think about doing. I struggled to eat half my breakfast, I'm dreading summoning the energy to have a shower, and I haven't even got dressed today. Tea is going down pretty well, but caffeine doesn't even scratch the surface of this particular strain of tiredness.

In the EDS world, you'll hear a lot of talk about the 'three Ps': Pacing, Pain Management, and Physiotherapy. I'll be writing a post soon about the importance of all three, but my exhaustion this morning is directly related to neglecting the first 'P'.

I'm awful at pacing. Completely, utterly useless. It has a lot to do with my belief that I'm somehow invincible (which I'm not) or superhuman (which I'm also not).
I'm still young – 26 – and I have a habit of erroneously equating that age with energy and vitality. It's no wonder I do that, though, because when the rest of the world makes that assumption about you, you can't help but have that assumption rub off on you. Why can't I go out and drink with friends? Why shouldn't I make that 2 hour round trip on my Sunday off?

I'll tell you why: Spoon theory.
If you've not heard of spoon theory before, I'll simply point you to the original, as conceived by Christine Miserandino, who has Lupus, another invisible illness. http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

As Christine so deftly writes, “the difference in being sick and being healthy is having to make choices or to consciously think about things when the rest of the world doesn’t have to. The healthy have the luxury of a life without choices, a gift most people take for granted.” That is the essence of spoon theory.



I've learned shortcuts I can take to preserve my spoons as much as possible. On days when I have more spoons available to me, I spend a few hours making and freezing as many portions of food as possible. Then, on days when I can barely make the journey back from university with my eyes open, I can throw a portion of healthy, home-cooked food in the oven without chipping into tomorrow's spoons.

Another shortcut is the miracle of dry shampoo. I have long, thick hair, and washing my hair involves 10 extra minutes in the shower, followed by doing battle with the hair dryer. A quick blast of Batiste (a British dry shampoo brand, but Walgreens stocks it in the US) allows me to save a spoon for something else later that day.

But sometimes, I throw caution to the wind. I'm in my twenties, and there are days when I rebel against my limited spoons, where I turn a deliberate blind eye to pacing. Yesterday, I had the good fortune to attend an invite-only industry event for my university. I rest up the day before, got an early night, and I had everything laid out, ready for the morning. Despite my efforts to prepare, spending 6 hours on my feet, talking to industry professionals who were there to view my work, and the sensory overload that accompanied all of that left me sore, exhausted, and 100% spent. I took a cab home from the event, and immediately crawled into bed. By 8pm, I was falling asleep, nursing a weary body and aching head. Meanwhile, my colleagues were all still up and at 'em as the event turned from industry preview to launch-night party. 

All I could do was marvel at the Instagrams and Facebook posts rolling in from those I knew that were still there. It was a painful reminder of the impact my chronic illness has on not only my body, but the opportunities I'm able to enjoy. 




As Christine says, “Its hard, the hardest thing I ever had to learn is to slow down, and not do everything. I fight this to this day. I hate feeling left out, having to choose to stay home, or to not get things done that I want to.”

So here I am, 10am on a Tuesday morning. I already used most of today's spoons yesterday, but I have to somehow muster more energy for a meeting across town later today. What I do know is that having the language to understand and communicate these things has been helpful to me... it'll just take some time to iron out strategies to cope with the limited spoons I have each day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment